Thursday, January 16, 2014

The S-Word

I read the entire book thinking that the "S" stood for Salsa.

Just kidding. I thought it was for Starbucks.

Just kidding again.

(What if Starbucks made salsa flavored coffee?!)

Ok, for realz...

I read The S-Word by Chelsea Pitcher and thought, "I hope that guys read this book."

This is a hard one for me to review because I normally just write silliness, but the content in The S-Word isn't silly.

In fact, there are multiple delicate topics covered throughout the story and Chelsea Pitcher does a great job with them.

What I like about this book is that even though it's heavy on themes, it's still the story that drives the reading. Know what I mean? The main character is playing the role of an investigator, and the information she's in search of is all the same information I wanted as the reader. So, naturally, I felt like I was an investigator, too, which was awesome because I was like...investigating stuff.

Chelsea did an amazing job of grabbing my attention from the beginning of the book and at the end of every chapter. She had me frustrated every morning when I had to put the book down and go to work (because I'm a responsible adult). Then, when I got to work, I was still feeling frustrated so I was mean to everyone and almost got fired. So thanks, Chelsea.

Overall, I really liked this book. The reading was smooth, the story was interesting, and the underlying themes were in line with the current issues of the day.

I liked most of the characters, but I didn't really fall in love with any of them. I thought they were very well done (like steaks). They sounded like teenagers and they were easy for me to picture, but I just didn't feel like any of the characters stood out above the story.

I loved the end of the book. No spoilers, but Chelsea fooled me. :)

I give The S-Word 5 out of 7 salsa flavored Starbucks coffees.

Way to go, Chelsea!!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a really interesting read. Not gonna lie, after reading your post I went straight over to goodreads and added it to my "want to read" shelf. With books that deal with topics like this, I feel that they can take on that "problem book" feel where it just comes across as fake. And the issues covered here shouldn't ever feel that way.

    Have you ever read "13 Reasons Why"? I'd love to hear your take on that one sometime if you haven't posted something already.

    ReplyDelete