Saturday, August 24, 2013

Wither Won't Leave Me Alone

I'm sitting here at my desk looking at the bills I'm about to pay. So, naturally, to escape reality, I look at the stacks of books climbing up my wall. Each title I see reminds me of a world that I visited, new characters I met, and a variety of emotions I felt. I wish I could ask Katsa from Graceling to take care of my bills for me (and by "take care" I mean KILL EVERYONE).

So, I read Wither by Lauren Destefano like...a year and a half ago. I think it was the second or third YA book I had ever read and I only bought it because Wal-Mart's YA bookshelves we're empty (insert Wal-Mart joke here).

Ok, so this is interesting to me...

I can vividly remember this book. I remember the characters (but not their names), the setting (prison mansion), and the plot/conflict.

Let me repeat: I read this book a year and a half ago. This is key, because I can't even remember my own name most of the time (Aaron Alba? Burrito Bergh?).

What makes a book stick with me? That's what I asked myself. I suppose everyone will answer that differently. For me, the answer is easy: emotions. But not just any emotions. New, strange, intense emotions.

Wither is a weird story to me, but for some reason it stuck. I haven't read the other books in the series, but I can't seem to escape their pull on me. I don't find myself wanting to know what's going to happen to the main character, I find myself wanting to revisit whatever it was I that felt when I read Wither. And I honestly don't know what I felt.

Is that weird?

Should I get professional help?

Should I go to Chipotle and order extra guacamole to help me cope with this confusion?

I don't generally ask questions on this blog, but I'm curious to see if anyone can relate.

So, can you? Can you relate? Which book(s)?

Answer or I'm sending Katsa after you.

25 comments:

  1. I also really enjoyed Wither, but haven't been drawn to pick up the other books in the series. More times than not, I'm disappointed in the rest of a series, so I've started only reading the first book. Then I always have fond feelings about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. The only full series I've read is Harry Potter. I've read a few book #2s: Divergent/Insurgent, Blood Red Road/Rebel Heart, Twilight/..., and of course, Under the Never Sky/Through the Ever Night.

      Delete
  2. It's all about emotion for me too. Funny that you mention Katsa, because GRACELING is definitely one of those books that's stuck with me, and I think that's because of the intense and genuine relationships it portrays. Same with JELLICOE ROAD, LOLA AND THE BOY NEXT DOOR, THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE, CHIME, and FINNIKIN OF THE ROCK.

    Great question... You've definitely got me thinking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had Finikin of the Rock on my TBR for a while...lot's of recs

      Delete
    2. You Need to read Finnikin. Best ya fantasy there is.

      Delete
  3. I still remember UNWIND, and I read that 3-4 years ago, I think. That one knocked me off my socks--what a startling and shocking and memorable story. It haunted me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's amazing how words put together by another person can be so impacting! Ya know?

      Delete
  4. Characters and emotion.

    And yes, definitely get extra guacamole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've been waiting for someone to make me feel ok, about the extra guac! :)

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah.. I definitely know what you mean.
    There are quite a few I remember that I read a long time ago. Then there are also the ones I read last year or the year before that I find myself skimming through on occasion because I just miss the feeling..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Sarah said the same kind of thing. I feel the same way. Blood Red Road is one of my fav books of all time, but I dislike the second book so much! I felt SO let down at how the author wrote the main character. It was like a completely different Saba. Ugh.

      Delete
  7. go for the guacamole!!! A book stays with me when I get emotionally involved with the story/characters. I want to feel all the feelings when I'm reading a book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I find the best cure for this is to weep and throw a fit on my bedroom floor over how unfair the real world is for not being Thisby/Hogwarts/Karou's Prague until I fall asleep and dream that it is :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. Chipotle is always the answer. B. I forget names but remember emotions too when it comes to books. Bc that would be weird in real life. But ya I forgot a lot of what happened in the Hunger Games, but I remembered the really emotional parts. Like I think I'll remember The Fault in our Stars when I'm 80 yrs old. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still haven't read TFIOS!!! I'm a bad person

      Delete
  10. I read Wither becsuse I am obsessed with the cover, bought the whole series. I think I liked it because the world was intriguing and different. There was this eerie suspense and sadness. One day I'll get to book#2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "eerie suspense and sadness" ...good call

      Delete
  11. I think you need to see a doctor because apparently you're suffering from a Wither-hangover, although, I hear that burrito bowls are often prescribed to alleviate the pain so there's always that.

    And to answer your question (because I'm fairly certain I DON'T want to have my ass kicked), you're not the only one this happens to. There are books that have left a special impact on me because of the messages I took away in the end. The details might escape me years down the road, but the emotions I felt never will. And that's exactly why we read --- to feel something. So yeah, you should feel better because you (and the author who wrote this book) are clearing doing something right!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's always the books that bring you down into the pit of despair that you remember most...seriously, it's the ones I cry over and can't stop thinking about for days afterward. I felt that way after reading Timeless by Alexandra Monir, The VA series by Richelle Mead, Harry Potter, and others.

    I also remember reading Wither. It too resonated with me, like a firebrand imprinting itself on my brain. Not sure if that requires professional care to heal, but I'd say Chipotle is just as good a medication as any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think the consensus is that Chipotle is the cure all for anything

      Delete
  13. Ha, they're probably aren't any I can remember a year and a half later that clearly. I'm pretty much limited to Pride & Prejudice for that level of recall, and that's only because I've read it ten or so times, and seen the movies even more. Which isn't the same thing. But I also read like 300 books a year, so there's just not that much space in my brain for silly things like character names.

    Also, LOL at this series. It's one of my least favorites ever, though Wither was okay. You should read the rest, so I can either high five you for raging or sit on my throne of judgment and feel superior, in a very friendly way of course.

    ReplyDelete