Monday, May 6, 2013

FanManing Over Veronica Rossi

Where do I even start?

Veronica Rossi is simply perfection.

It's like she has an unlimited supply of Felix Felicis.

Her books are like Chipotle burritos: well proportioned, magical, and addictive. No matter how much you have, you always want more.

If you haven't read Under the Never Sky and/or Through the Ever Night, then we can't be friends. Also, what's wrong with you? Are you dead? Petrified? Too busy waiting for the return of the Dark Lord?


Have you never seen Veronica Rossi?
HELLO?!
|
|
\/

Now, I'm not saying you should run out and buy a book because the author is *clears throat* nice looking, but in this case, go for it! (Don't judge me, I'm FanManing).

I finally read Through the Ever Night by Veronica Rossi. I loved it. I freaking loved it. It took me a long time to finish it, but what the hell am I supposed to do when there's a picture of a Brazilian Goddess in the back? Not stare for ten minutes? Please...

What's that? The book? Oh, right.

Through the Ever Night is awesome. It's everything I want in a story. The world is original, and there's nothing better than that. You know what I mean? When I read a story and there is mention of a dragon, I picture a dragon. It doesn't matter how badly the author wants me to picture how different his/her dragon is...I just picture a dragon. I've seen dragons on movies and book covers enough to have formed my own idea of what a dragon looks like. Call me lazy, but it is what it is. With Veronica Rossi's books I get to picture things I've never pictured before and go places I've never imagined, and that's why I like reading.

Through the Ever Night has some of the best characters ever. Not only are the two main characters, Aria and Perry, great, but the hundreds (maybe thousands or millions) of supporting characters are just as awesome!

When multiple characters have their own separate motivations and conflicts it makes for a complex, rich, interlaced story.

Let me give you an example...

I took my 8-year-old son to Chipotle the other day.

"Dad, can I get my own burrito?"

I hesitated. He's one of the smallest, skinniest kids in his grade. He's not much bigger than the burrito he's asking me to buy.

"O...k, are you sure you don't want to just share?"

"No. I want my own."

I watched in horror as he filled his burrito with nothing more than rice, beans, and cheese. Would it be tasty? Yes. Was he missing out? Yes. Was I going to have to pay full price? Yes.

I looked down at him like Barty Crouch looked down at Barty Crouch Jr., and I said, "You're no son of mine!"

His burrito was like a book with too few likeable characters. Good, but it could be so much better.

Veronica Rossi's books are like overfilled burritos that rip the tortilla and have to be wrapped in a second tortilla so they don't explode on you (which would be perfectly fine and has happened to me many times).

I think my favorite character is Kirra. What a sneaky, snakey, seducer...and yet, I found myself liking her! I should have been thinking, "No Perry! Run! She's tricking you! She's evil!" But, no. I was like, "Perry, you jerk. Can't you see she likes you? Who cares that she's only seducing you to hurt you?! You can't leave her on the beach like that!"

I'm such a loser.

If you haven't read Veronica Rossi's books. Read them. They're everything YA should be.

I give Through the Ever Night 5 out of 5 Brazilian Goddesses holding overstuffed burritos.


Dear Veronica Rossi's husband, 

Please don't beat me up. 

:)

46 comments:

  1. OMG! OMG! OMG! You're crazy if you don't LOVE these books! I shudder to admit this, but I had a bit of trouble initially reading Under The Never Sky but man, once it hit me, it hit me hard and I fell in love. With everything. Especially Roar.

    Okay, let's make a deal... I'll help you win over Kirra if you help me win over Roar. And you're totally right, I never noticed how attractive Ms. Rossi was until you mentioned it. I'll have to remember that the next time I recommend the series to a male-friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, I can't wait to introduce my husband to the term "fanmaning."

    Second, This series DOES rock. The world-building. The characters. I thought the pacing was off-kilter in the first installment, but the second one was damn near perfection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not many authors are worthy of FanManing, so this is like...a big deal. :)

      Delete
  3. Now, THIS, is a review I love! All reviews should be in Chipotle terms and I will absolutely be buying this book!!! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahahahaha

    I have this one on my Kindle. I'm bumping it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're adorbs.

    This is on my NO SERIOUSLY TBR pile and I just bought my own copy but have yet to read it....can we still be friends?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A "NO SERIOUSLY" TBR pile is the best thing I've ever heard off. haha

      Delete
  6. Just a reminder, now you can join us for the longgg wait for the third part of the series. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boooooo for long waits. Yay for third book!

      Delete
  7. Aaron - I think your reviews are awesome, so I nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award. It's just a little way to highlight blogs with fewer than 200 followers. Let me know if you want to accept! Thanks - Kristin

    http://kristinharkins.blogspot.com/2013/05/liebster-blog-award.html

    P.S. I promise I am not a scam, a hoax, or a virus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! I must respectfully decline. I'm a bit maxed on time these days. :)

      Delete
    2. I totally understand - hope you can find the time for a blog post now and then!

      Delete
  8. You know how sometimes authors look different in person than in their author photos? V Rossi looks exactly like her author photo. She BRINGS IT in person. She's also super nice and witty at book events.

    Also, the overstuffed burrito rating is awesome. I give that 5 out of 5 Real Men Read YA blog reader comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's my first rating. :)

      Delete
  9. I concur. She's gorgeous, talented, ridiculously humble and just great all around, so your crush is well placed.

    Sadly, though not for Veronica, her husband is every bit as good-looking, funny, and smart, too. Nauseating, true, but it soothes my soul to know such people share our meager little plane. ;-)

    I know she'll have seen and appreciated this review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm reading Through The Ever Night next week and I can't wait! Also, Veronica Rossi is the nicest person ever. I met her at a signing and she took down the name of my blog and then followed me on twitter later that day. Like seriously, that made my year haha. Not many authors are that nice and write amazing books. I love your chipotle reference btw. Overstuffed burritos are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I instantly subscribe because of this post, lol. I finished this book last month, freaking love it!
    This books are contained with perfection, I mean, isn't Perry himself is so damn much for fangirls? And Rossi gives Roar too woohoooo \(*A*)/

    Anyway I just heard about fanmaning, sounds cool!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yessssss. So happy you loved TTEN. Under the Never Sky was real good but TTEN just blew me away. Def like an overstuffed burrito! Yummmm.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is great! My husband the non reader read the Hunger Games and then Divergent/Insurgent but I love these books more, so I'm showing him the link.

    Also, my daughter gets her burrito (we usually go to Moe's instead of Chipotle b/c Chipotle is always packed) with rice, tofu, and black olives. That's it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You take your child somewhere besides Chipotle for her burrito?! I'm reporting you for child abuse. :)

      Tofu and black olives??? O.o

      Delete
  14. Found this blog through V herself and I'm hitting the subscribe button because you're pretty damn awesome. I've been a fan of this series since UTNS came out (let's not talk about my collection of international editions - I'm insane) and I love hearing what others think of it.

    And now I want Chipotle for lunch so thank you. I'm running across the street in about 30 mins for a delicious burrito bowl. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! (I just had Chipotle, too)

      Delete
  15. I've never read your blog before but I loved this review so much that I'm going to read it from now on! I found this link thanks to a Facebook post from Veronica .I'm a huge fan of her books (and a mom with teen kids) and am glad that you enjoy her writing also!
    --Amy in Atlanta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BTW, I didn't like The Maze Runner either. Do you take suggestions for other YA books? Do you keep your To Read list anywhere public? I have a couple suggestions you might like if you're interested.

      Delete
    2. I don't keep a To Read list anywhere except in my head, which means I have no idea what to read next. :)

      Delete
    3. Well, here are some awesome YA books I've read that I think are worth recommending, listed in the order I think would likely be the order a man would rank them:
      1. Shipbreaker by Paolo Bacigalupi (violent and full of action in a future where most of the USA's coastal cities are underwater due to global warming and includes intelligent manmade beings)
      2. Legend by Marie Lu (in brief, I could describe this similarly to Shipbreaker except that it has the angle of the USA being divided and warring and includes a romance)
      3. Divergent by Veronica Roth (But, I must say I did NOT enjoy the sequel so I almost hesitate to recommend. However, this book was outstanding. Despite a slow start, it quickly becomes full of action, suspense, drama, romance, heroics, character growth, and good vs. evil)
      4. I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore (fun, suspenseful, and aliens)
      5. Across the Universe by Beth Revis (sci-fi light, life on a spaceship on a 300-year journey to a new planet with really engaging characters)
      6. Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor (fantasy world hidden within the real world, full of imagination, fabulous characters, and intriguing settings)

      Let me know if you read any of them! (Or, I'll just see it on your blog.) :-)

      Delete
  16. First of all, I love the term "fanmaning."
    Second of all, I've only read Under the Never Sky. But I LOVED it! I've been meaning to get to Through the Ever Night, but I haven't yet. I'm sure I'll love it just as much as the first book, though, if not more. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't FanMan often, but certain people deserve my FanManing. :)

      Delete
  17. Only YOU could get away with this. hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are hilarious! I'm good friends with V and found your site thru her post. I will be a new subscriber as I love YA after V introduced me a few years ago. I can't wait for my kids to catch up and read it with me. Looking forward to your next post and her husband will be laughing right along with her.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved your review and also both books (can't wait for the next!!!) I speak Spanish, but looking for some good reading material I found Veronica's books; and they are GREAT! (I had to read them in English; there's not Spanish version)
    Since we like wonderful books, I'm waiting for more recomendations. Thaks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Its nоt my fiгst time to vіsit thіs
    wеb рage, і am broωѕing this web site dailly аnd get faѕtidious fаcts
    from hеre ԁaily.

    my homepage :: bodybuilding

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think the admin of thіѕ wеbsite is truly worκіng
    harԁ in support оf hіs websіte, since hеrе еverу mаterial is qualitу baѕed stuff.



    Here iѕ my wеblοg ..
    . samsung galaxy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, just wanted to mention, I enjoyed this blog post.

    It was inspiring. Keep on posting!

    Here is my weblog ... smart juicer

    ReplyDelete
  23. OH my gosh, I'm pissing my pants laughing out loud at this post! AMAZING! My favorite was the Barty Crouch reference..tears...tears in my eyes! :)

    ReplyDelete