Sunday, April 7, 2013

Creepy Zombie Babies

In case there ever really is a zombie apocalypse...

Please, please don't cradle a zombie baby like it's a real baby. Just don't.

*As usual, there will probably be spoilers in this review.

I read The Forest of Hands and Teeth and loved it!

Wow. I read a zombie book. I never thought that day would come.

Let me be clear: I DON'T LIKE ZOMBIE STUFF. I think it's weird. I didn't like the zombies in the story, I liked everything else. If Carrie Ryan replaced "zombies" with "ghosts" or "little Ryan Seacrests," it wouldn't have made a difference to me (although imagining little Ryan Seacrests trying to attack people is kinda funny).

I loved the title! It's so perfect for the story.

I loved the cover, too. I have the one with the one-eyed girl that stares at me like she's gonna kill me.

The writing was great. I was never confused (which is easy to do!), and I was definitely rooting for Mary. I really liked how Carrie Ryan weaved a faith/religion aspect into a zombie novel. Very different, but very cool.

The romance part of the story was a bit odd. I wasn't always sure who Mary loved (if anyone), and thinking about it distracted me at times. But, trying to figure out how Mary's "brotherly love" thing was gonna turn out kept me guessing, and that obviously kept me reading.

There were multiple factors driving me through the story. Will she escape? Who will she marry? What the hell is that scary ass sister-nun-thing-lady gonna do next? Who is the girl? Tunnels? Gates?

While reading, I had a sense of fear. Not like overwhelming, terrorizing, nightmare fear, but like, "I think a spider just crawled across my face while I'm lying in bed" fear. The zombies were pulling at the fence, groaning and moaning and being zombies for THE ENTIRE FREAKING STORY! There was no rest from it, and I think the thought of that is what unsettled me. It would be like having to listen to Pitbull all day every day.

There was one super weird scene that had me all like, "WTF?!"

Mary finds a zombie baby and like...loves on it. It was so weird. That was the only part of the story that I really felt validated for not liking zombie stuff. Who hugs a freaking zombie baby? Just throw it's zombie baby ass out the window!

I give The Forest of Hands and Teeth 4 out of 5 Creepy Zombie Babies.

I strongly recommend it! Even if you're like me and you don't care for zombie stuff, there's enough going on in the story to win you over.

Also, I think there should be a ban on books that have creepy zombie babies.

8 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it! FOHAT was the book that showed us that maybe, just maybe, we could like zombie books.

    THIS IS NOT A TEST by Courtney Summers is another great one, btw. It's like an 80s movie, but with zombies. No babies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved TFoHaT too! Even with the zombies. And the title was fantastic. It really made me consider titles as a selling point to books; good ones can just make it so much better. Her other titles are just as good too. (The Dead-Tossed Waves and The Dark and Hollow Places).

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was my first Zombie book too, and I loved it! For me it was the somber tone of the book that hooked me, there was something so poetic about it. Mary did annoy me a lot, but the writing was just so good! I've since read a couple more Zombie books, and I have to admit I like zombies a lot more than I ever thought I would. Warm Bodies was excellent.. and I just finished Rot and Ruin which was pretty good too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I agree! I was rooting for Mary and there was this constant tension. It was also my first zombie book and it definitely opened my eyes for this genre. I must say that the next book was a bit disappointing, but I loved the last book!

    The baby part creeps me out too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. See unlike you, I am a bona fide zombie lover (although not lover as in 'lovah' or creepy-z-baby-snuggly-lover) and it always makes me happy when a certain book or movie in the genre can convert someone, even for just a moment.

    And I seriously think you need to consider writing a story about tiny Ryan Seacrest attacks... perhaps perpetuated by a Pitbull song? It's got potential and would seriously scare the sh*t outta me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bahahaha little Ryan Seacrests. I haven't read this one... Not really into zombies either, but you're review has definitely intrigued me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! I'm glad you like this... I haven't read it yet, but it's one of those books that people seem to love or hate! Every time I go to pick it up I hear all the Debbie Downers whispering in my head. Maybe next time I'll hear "READ ABOUT THE LITTLE RYAN SEACRESTS BETTY, JUST DO IT!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is great! I read these awhile ago and I don't remember the zombie babies, but that is certainly sage advice!

    ReplyDelete