Sunday, March 3, 2013

Wet Dog Smell

*There might be spoilers in this review. *

I went to the bookstore the other day to buy Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater, but on the way from the parking lot to the front door I was attacked by a pack of wolves. They were snarling and growling as they surrounded me. I taunted them, removing my shirt to reveal my sculpted...ribs. I pounded my chest like a gorilla and roared like a lion. No pack of wolves was gonna stop me from getting that book.

They jumped on me, but I was able to wrestle them off and get inside the bookstore.

All I could think about on the drive home was that I smelled like dog. How would I explain this to Jessica Alba?

As soon as I walked in the door, Jessica's head snapped in my direction. She ran to me. Her cheeks were pink and she was putting her face right up to my clothes and taking deep sniffs.

"You smell SO good," she kept saying. She started kissing my face and neck and tugging at my shirt.

"What the hell has gotten into you?" I asked.

"Ohhh, you smell like dog," she moaned.

And this is where the story ends.  Because right now, if you haven't read Shiver, you're probably like WTF?! But if you've read it, you're probably laughing at the similarities between Jessica and the main character in the book: Grace.

I'm not sure how anyone can read this book and not be at least slightly disturbed at how much Grace loves wolves. I completely understand that she was bitten by a wolf and was still like 1% werewolf, but still, she's a freaking teenage girl talking about wolves (actual animals) like she wants to go all Ke$ha on them.

Gross.

Other than Grace wanting to give new meaning to "doggy style", there was one other thing that I found to be extremely unbelievable. There was a sister of a boy that had been bitten by a wolf. Everyone thought the boy was dead. When the sister found out he was alive and also happened to be a werewolf, she handled it like it was totally normal.

There's actually a scene where the werewolf brother confesses to the sister that he ate the family dog. She responds like, "Oh, silly boy. Why did you have to eat the dog?" This aspect of the story was SO weird. I needed the characters to at least try to doubt.

Other than those two things, it was really good!

Seriously, I think Maggie Stiefvater did an amazing job creating Mercy Falls, MN (which, if it was real, would not have been far from where I grew up in Wisconsin). I loved the scenery. It was easy to picture and at times I almost felt the cold weather being described.

The story was interesting. I'm not into paranormal so much, but amazingly, I wanted to keep reading this book. I literally lol'd a few times at myself. I would read a doggy love scene and be like, "Why do I wanna keep reading this?"

But, I did.

When that happens I give mad props to the author for doing a lot of things right. I didn't finish the book merely because I wanted to "get it over with." I genuinely wanted to know what was gonna happen. Maggie Stiefvater hooked me and I had to keep going. I pushed past the parts I thought were silly, and in the end I actually enjoyed the read.

I'll probably never completely heal from having the "teenage girl seems turned on by wolves" scenes, but, hey, I made it through Twilight.

I give Shiver 3 out of 5 Wet Dogs.

5 comments:

  1. baaahahahaa - love it - I like Shiver, but the follow up novels weren't really my cup of tea; however, The Scropio Races is phenomenal. It is the kind of story that has fantastical elements that seem totally realistic. Her most recent novel, The Raven Boys, is kind of the opposite, but it's King Arthur-esque legend instead of paranormal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this one on my shelf, but haven't read it yet. The reviews on it are so mixed, I think I'll just have to read it myself to decide. But I kind of doubt I'm going to be able to get this parking lot visual out of my head when I read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed Shiver but... I felt like the other two books in the trilogy were kind of lacking.

    On the other hand like Kristin said above, The Scorpio Races by Maggie S.(I'm not gonna try to spell her last name at this moment) is brilliant. You should give that one a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd be lying if I wasn't slightly disturbed with Grace's fascination with Wolves, but I really did like the book despite this, but mostly because of Sam, I loved the originality of his character and the whole setting. There wasn't much of a plot but I think that was the point, it wasn't about people saving the world, it had this calmness to it that I don't usually enjoy but it worked with this book (probably because of the setting).

    ReplyDelete
  5. So Shiver is actually next on my list of things to read because I adore Maggie Stiefvater, though it sounds like her latter works are much more eloquent both in plot and prose. Nonetheless, if any of us could make it through Twilight, I have a feeling we'll do alright with this one. Love it!

    ReplyDelete