Friday, March 22, 2013

Insignia

*Spoilers

The moral of the story is: DON'T LET ANYONE PUT A FREAKING COMPUTER IN YOUR BRAIN.

There. I had to get that off my chest.

This is not my kind of book, but I really liked it.

I don't play video games and I'm not interested in technology or politics. Insignia is full of all these things (and much more).

I struggled in the beginning of the book. I liked the main character, but I wasn't sure how to picture the video games he was playing. It reminded me of Ender's Game, which I hated (I know...crucify me). But, it ended up being a million times better than Ender's Game.

As I read more I began to easily picture what was happening and I became accustomed to the cool "tech" talk. I actually started feeling cool myself, but then I remembered I wasn't. (This is the part where you feel sorry for me and think of really neat-o ways to describe how cool I am in the comments section.)

I loved the characters. I like books that give me more than one or two characters to be friends with. And even a few to be enemies with.

I liked that Insignia had me guessing. Who is Medusa? What the hell is wrong with Blackburn? Is someone a spy or not? Does Wyatt like Tom or Yuri?

I didn't like the idea of having a computer thingy stuck in a person's brain. But, it was kinda interesting to see the characters giving each other viruses (get your mind outta the gutter!).

I really, really liked the main character Tom and his friend Vik. They made me lol ("laugh out loud" for you older folks) multiple times. They were realistic teenage boy characters.

I think my favorite part of the book is when Tom had to have his brain scanned through all his memories and Blackburn could see them playing out on a screen. What does Tom think about? What every teenage boy thinks about: his sculpted abs blazing as his female classmate's clothes fall off and they run to him for protection. I was like, "Damn! S.J. Kincaid stole my teenage mind."

Let's all agree that if the technology to do that ever shows up, we destroy it. Agreed?

I'm giving Insignia by S.J. Kincaid 4 out of 5 viruses.

And with that, it's good to be back.

P.S. When I left this city six months ago, there was no Chipotle. There is now a Chipotle. This may or may not have had something to do with my willingness to move here.

3 comments:

  1. So glad you liked it!! This was definitely a surprise for me when I kind of fell in love with it. I agree - the characters felt like were real people, real teenagers and although I'm not really "techy" either, it was so easy to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one book that grew on me as I kept reading it too. I really liked Tom's character and how S.J. was able to capture teens so perfectly! The thought of anything done to our brains is just wrong! But I'm sure something will be implemented in the future since people are already talking about identity implants... but hopefully not in our lifetime!
    Great review!!! Happy to see that all is well and that you're back - Chipotle and all :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I kind of skipped this blog post mostly because you have that nifty little spoiler notice up there, but I do want to say that I have this one but I haven't read it yet. I WANT to read it, but I just haven't carved out the time, which basically equates to: I have no excuse. Also, I think the cover of this one is neat and I like that it can appeal to both guys and girls. I hope I like it when I read it.

    There is no Chipotle in my city.

    ReplyDelete