Friday, January 18, 2013

Veronica Rossi Just Kicked My Ass

"The house is on fire!" she screamed.

I kept reading.

"Put the book down and get out!"

I kept reading.  I could feel the heat, but I thought it was from the story.

"You idiot!  The house is on fire!"  She was pulling on my arm, but I wouldn't budge.

"Stop reading that book!"

But I couldn't stop, because I was reading Under The Never Sky.  

It's not a book you can just stop.


I selected two books: 13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson (I know, manly), and Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi.  When I buy two books, I always choose the one with the least girly looking cover to put on top of the stack.  I don't know why I do this, since the cashier is going to see both books anyways, but still, I do it.

I put Under the Never Sky on top.  The cover is half black, so that's like...tough. The girl on the cover looks like she's walking towards me with the intent to stuff my head in a toilet.  Also, if you can just slip into my imagination for a moment (scary place), the girl on the cover totally looks like she blasted a nuclear fart bomb. (Seriously, look at the cover with that in mind and you won't stop laughing.)

This book made my top ten list, and I don't even have a top ten list!

Everything I want in a YA read was there:

-A story compelling enough to make me need to put the garbage can next to my chair because I was so nervous and emotional I thought I was gonna barf.

-An awesome, interesting, and NOT ANNOYING female MC named Aria.

-A male MC that I describe as a cross between Jason Bourne and Braveheart. (Although, his name is Perry and I kept picturing Perry the Platypus from Phineas and Ferb.)

-Lots of good killing.

-Some creepy ass cannibal dudes that wear crow masks.

-A bunch of shit I never saw coming...never!

-Every character mattered.  I never once said, "Oh hell!  Get on with it!  Someone hurry up and kill this loser."

-The setting is original, creative, easy to picture, fun to imagine, and sometimes dreadful to think about.

-The Aether.  Kinda like the mother of all lightning storms times a billion.  It's kinda like, "If yo ass get caught in the Aether, yo ass is fried."  This created some amazing scenes in the story.


I love this book.  I love it so much I could marry it.

The romance in this story develops naturally.  It starts when Perry watches Aria touch a berry to her lip.  Veronica Rossi doesn't write this in the story, but I know Perry totally pops a boner in this scene.  The romance grows and grows (pun intended) and is so believable and awesome.

Well done Veronica Rossi!  Follow Veronica on Twitter at @V_Rossibooks

In honor of @ABoredAuthor , I give Under the Never Sky 5 out of 5 chocolate cake slices.











11 comments:

  1. Need to read it!! It's been on my TBR pile for a while, but this review has shifted it up to the top ;) x

    http://natashangan.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha as always, another great review. Glad you loved this one!! This series is definitely one of my favorites. Now go read Through the Ever Night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bahahaha! LOVE this review. I still need to read this book. Heard so many great things about it.

    PS Totally know what you mean about the name Perry. It will forevermore be tied to Perry the Platypus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, Veronica is coming to Huntington Beach in February, so be jealous of me. We'll probably make fun of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently put this in my TBR list. I'm glad I did now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've been nominated!!!!!!!!!! http://paranormalsisters.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-liebster-blog-award.html ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  7. Favorite review. Ever. And if you got that worked up over Under the Never Sky, just wait till you start Through the Ever Night.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahahahahahah.

    Oh my god.

    Yeah, Perry totally does pop a boner in that scene I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Always enlightening to hear what men are thinking during these scenes...we womenfolk tend to focus on...uh...different elements =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. YES, to everything you said! One of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now-a-days internet has become one of the integral parts in our life.

    Look for a first row Bobcats ticket in the lower seats for these sections near
    midcourt. He tries explaining this several times, which is why they continue
    to argue.

    my page - oceanic cable blog

    ReplyDelete