Friday, January 11, 2013

A Manly Review of "Hush, Hush"

"Hush, Hush" was originally just a manly looking book I grabbed to hide "Anna and the French Kiss" under on the way to checkout.

Now I'm glad I actually bought it.

Let me start by commenting on the cover.  At first glance, it appears that some kind of man/angel is falling through the cloudy sky.  But, if you look closely (and use your chemically altered imagination) you can see the feathers from a crow that got his ass blasted by a shotgun.

There were no crows mentioned in the book, so I'm confused.

Ok, this story was awesome.  I don't like angel/fallen angel stories...at all.  This one, though, I liked.

I started out thinking, "Oh, hell.  What's Bella doing in this story?"  All I had was the girl who was just SO attracted to the dreamy boy that was so bad for her.  Pages and pages of sexual tension.  I swear, angel boy had a boner for the first 100 pages.

Then, I couldn't get past his name...Patch.  It's not the worst name, but when all you can picture is Robin Williams as Patch Freakin' Adams...it changes things.

Then, in an attempt to get Robin Williams out of my mind, I repeated Patch over and over until I got confused and started saying Stitch.  So then I was picturing Stitch (from Lilo and Stitch) every time I read Patch.  That was actually kinda cool.

I was really struggling.

Thankfully, after taking my meds, I got into the story.  I could NOT predict what was going to happen.  I couldn't figure out who was who.  THAT is what kept me reading.  Brilliant story telling.  My interest level rose with each page.  Just enough confusion to keep me going, but not make me give up.  New characters dropped in at just the right time.

It's like Becca Fitzpatrick had the Half Blood Prince's book and was adding just the right amounts of everything.

I ended up really liking "Hush, Hush."  (I still have no idea what "Hush, Hush" means?)

I liked the main characters.  The writing was money.  Excellent book.

Why Guys Should Read This Book

Action

Murder

AND...(here I go) yet another great example of HOW NOT TO TREAT A GIRL.

Don't be a creepy ass dude, and make a girl have to go tell a teacher she feels threatened by you.  This isn't cool.

Well done, Becca Fitzpatrick!!!  Keeping the attention of a 33-year-old man with ADD may not have been your goal, but you did it!










9 comments:

  1. LOL. Love this review. I read this book a couple of years ago and thought it was meh. But maybe that was all the swooning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bahaha another great review. "So then I was picturing Stitch (from Lilo and Stitch) every time I read Patch. That was actually kinda cool." - Definitely laughing out loud as I read this at my desk at work. Now I'm getting strange looks.
    Always fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I happy when people get strange looks because of me. :)

      Delete
  3. Great review, I like reading IT more than I did "Hush Hush" way back when I read it. Ok...maybe that's not entirely true because I did give the second book a go, but alas I had to put it down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This review made me laugh...and want to read this book ASAP. Kudos, manly review man. Can't wait to see what you read next!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in love with Patch. He loves me back. We sit together often and brood at each other before mysteriously disappearing without explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You win the world and deserve a pie. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i HATE angels with boners, especially angels named Patch. Ya know what I hate even more?? Crows getting blasted in the ass with shotguns for absolutely NO REASON.
    ;) lovely review, guacamole monster.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where's the rating for this book? Tis always my favorite part of your reviews!

    ReplyDelete